Last year I developed a monthly event for our Main Street program called Cocktails for a Cause. The idea is that each month, on the third Thursday, we would celebrate a nonprofit at a different local pub. The cost to enter is $10 and 33% of the drinks bought during the two hour event is split evenly between the chosen nonprofit and our Main Street program. The week after the event we host a little press conference at the pub with the supported nonprofit to receive the funds and toast to the success!
- Creates continued awareness about the nonprofit organizations in our community year round
- Raises funds for our Main Street organization and the chosen nonprofits
- Generates revenue to the pub on what could be an off night
- Establishes a networking opportunity for area business people once a month
- Allows the community to support a nonprofit in an easy way
Win wins all around.
We don't provide any advertising other than a press release to the local media, an email blast and a Facebook event. That saves on costs and allows the events to be low budget, another win for our Main Street.
The other thing it does? Reminds me why I love living in our small town. It is relaxed, calming, filled with generous kind people who love to support a good cause. Definitely a win win!
Photo: Features Roberta and Sue from People Helping People a grassroots prescription drug support organization and myself and the logo for the event that we use year round to create branding recognition.
Interested in more tips for your community? The conversation is happening at my Facebook page.